Friday, June 17, 2011

A week in the life of a MTW intern




Well my first week is over and there is a lot that has gone on. Last Wednesday I went to my first English Club where I became friends with 3 girls (Jenny, Dallia, and Fani). We spent about 2 hours talking, them in English, me in Spanish. We also made plans to meet them on Friday to play fútbol and basketball and then go see a movie. On Thursday we had ESL with the village kids. This was my first time to go into the village, Tejaban. Class went really well. After class we went into GTO to watch México play Cuba in the Gold Cup. Talk about fun. We were in a restaurant with locals and for those of you who don’t know fútbol is HUGE here, and since México killed Cuba everyone was in a very good mood. Friday we got to play fútbol with the girls and then went to see X-men the fourth generation….don’t worry it was all in Spanish. My head hurt afterwards from trying to understand. I did get most of the plot but missed a lot of the jokes. Saturday we went to a city called Léon where we are starting an English club. We rode in the NICEST bus I have EVER been in. It was like an airplane on wheels, we got a drink and a snack AND they showed a movie. It was great. Sunday we had worship at camp then had a team-building day at a water park. Don’t worry there are some GREAT stories to come with that, but they need a post all to themselves. Monday we had the moms of the village come to camp and have a field day. We played games and had relay races.  Tuesday we had ESL with the village kids…I taught. It was interesting, to say the least. Wednesday we came into GTO to do laundry and hang out till English Club. We also went up to Pipila, which oversees GTO. 







Thursday we had ESL again with the village kids. We taught them about mouth and numbers and had a birthday party. The kids loved it and were very well behaved. Monse CAMEEEEEEEEEEE! She is going to be with us for 2 weeks helping with teams. After dinner we hiked up a mountain and watched the sunset and moon rise. 

It was a full moon. Friday we had all the primary school kids come to camp and we had field day with
them. I worked with the 1st graders. They were precious. I wanted to pack some in my suitcase and bring them to the states (hope that’s okay mom and dad). 

Our first short term team came from Jacksonville, FL. There are 38 high school students and their leaders. Tonight the interns and Monse are going salsa dancing with our Dallia, Jenny, and Fani. This week has been truly a blessing. I have learned a lot about México and how much they need the love of our Savior. The people are beautiful and so is the city. I am blown away by the hospitality and sense of community these people have. This is a relationship driven culture and I LOVE it.

Prayer Points:
-Continue to pray for the relationships we have built and that God will open the door for us to talk about our real reason for being down here.
-Our first short-term team arrived today. Pray for their ministry and work in the village.
-Continue to pray for the language barrier. 

3 comments:

  1. You rock! Jesus in YOU rocks! Love ya and am praying for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm soooooo jealous, and also soooooo excited for you!!! You went to Pipila (love the views there!) and you met Monse!!!!!! I miss that girl; give her a hug for me. I also LOVE the relationship driven culture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! Aww, I can identify so much with those language-headaches. I eat some really sour mangos with really spicy dip and it kicks them right away. Look for something like that. :) And the kids make it all worth it, don't they. I will be praying those r'ships get to a level where you can share more of your reason for being there. Love!!!!

    ReplyDelete